Sunday, August 16, 2009

Grand Theft Autocracy

When I hear someone say, "When they said that word, it felt like someone just slapped me across the face," it makes me want to walk up to that person, slap them across the face as hard as I can, and then ask, "Are you sure about that?"

Maybe we could even spend a few minutes comparing and contrasting, just to be one hundred percent positive. This link is an excellent example of what happens when we as a society allow others to hijack the language to feed the ethos of Political Correctness.

What gives you the right to say that a word is bad? What gives you the right to tell others they cannot say a word? Who are you to dictate to the whole of society that you don't like something, so everyone else has to fall in line and obey your peeve?

Java Java!

The utter fruitlessness and hypocrisy of such an exercise lies in the simple fact that changing the word does not change the meaning. When I say "Little Person", I'm still saying Midget. When I say "Mentally Handicapped", I'm still saying Retard. When I say "African American", I'm excluding a large population of whites who were born and raised in Africa and have migrated to the United States. People who are both proud to be an African and an American.

All we do when we cease to say one word and initiate using another is create a euphemism. There is nothing more scurrilous and contemptible than a euphemism.

This is America. We are a proud Democratic Republic. Our very first God-given, inalienable right is the Freedom of Speech. Censure and censorship fly in the face of everything that right stands for.

The next time you hear someone say something, or someone says something to you that offends you, perhaps you should use your brain and the gift of The English Language and fight your own battle, instead of forcing others to do it for you.